BUSINESS TAX RECEIPTS -- all new businesses in the city of Melbourne must have a BTR and keep it renewed annually. This is your #1 place to start. The link is to Melbourne's city government website about the rules and application process.  Business tax receipts are usually issued in one day, but there may be exceptions.

CHANGES TO YOUR BUILDING -- Contact the Community Development Department at or call (321) 608-7500.  

HOTEL/RESTAURANT -- Any new restaurant or public lodging facility starting or changing ownership of a business is required to provide a temporary "receipt for license" from the State of Florida Division of Hotels & Restaurants prior to obtaining an Business Tax Receipt.

FOOD TRUCK ON SITE --  Currently, food trucks may only vend in permitted space and not on public property that is not properly permitted; however, individual businesses may host a food truck on their private turf a limited times a year.

HISTORIC PRESERVATION -- Guides, maps, applications, and more. 

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood?


PERMITTING--  Start by talking to a planner. Before you undergo construction of any kind, consult with a city planner first to see if a permit is required. Changes that are permitted may be reflected in the county property appraisal process which may effect the value of the property. Permits are also tracked by EGAD Main Street for reporting reinvestment statistics to the state main street office to accurately showcase reinvestment. 

RENT THE SQUARE-- Eau Gallie Square is owned and managed by the City of Melbourne/Parks & Recreation Department which is housed in the Eau Gallie Civic Center.  The Square is a beautiful park with large oak trees and native plants is located on the corner of Highland Avenue and Eau Gallie Boulevard.  This park boasts a small, lighted amphitheater/pavilion with electricity available (extra cost involved).  The park has picnic tables, benches, paved brick walkways and electricity throughout.  Please visit the Civic Center staff for complete details.

SIGNS, FLAGS & MURALS -- Guidelines, applications and complete information. To have business signage, you must submit your design through the approval process.  See the GUIDELINES here. Here's the APPLICATION.

SPECIAL ACTIVITY PERMITS -- If you wish to host an event and close the street for vendors, food trucks, or any activity, please start with the City Clerk's office at City Hall.  Details and all downloadable forms are on their site.  You must complete a "special activity permit" and pay the fee. Whether it's a big event where you close a street or just want to place a food truck on private property for your store's special event, a permit is still required. Of course, there are PROCEDURES. If you wish to rent only Eau Gallie Square or the Civic Center, start at the Parks & Recreation at the Civic Center. If you wish to close a street, start with the City Clerk's office at City Hall.  All their forms are downloadable from the city website.  View our own GUIDE TO PERMITTING.

SOCIAL MEDIA POST TEMPLATE — Plan your social media posts and track results. Other options are available by doing a Google search, but HootSuite does a good job (if you don’t mind reading).

WI-FIMAINSTREET WI-FI is available at no cost. Check-in and select EGADLIFE WiFi.

ZONING-- Zoning provides the regulations that apply to land and structures in the City of Melbourne.  The City of Melbourne has numerous zoning districts and each one has a list of permitted uses for building setbacks, densities, and heights.  You will want Zoning assistance if you want to learn about the zoning of your property, how to change it, what’s allowed within your zoning district, information on setbacks and more exciting late-night reading.  The most direct way to find information on a particular property is to search by the address of the property or by the seven-digit tax account number (TA #) on the Brevard County Tax Appraiser Office.  

The Melbourne Zoning Code is located in Part III, Appendix B of the City of Melbourne Code of Ordinances.

FAQs -- Not sure what's required? Check this out.


SCORE -- Free Small Business mentoring, workshops, counseling, templates and more.

CAREER SOURCE BREVARD -- find a job, post a job, get online learning

FLORIDA RESTAURANT & LODGING -- everything about the hospitality industry in Central Florida