Congratulations on thinking about starting a business or planning your first steps. You will find the EGAD merchants to be very open to talking with you about their experiences and advice. Below is a resource list of what to do first, where to go, maybe who to see, and links to everything.

Business Tax Receipt -- all new businesses in the city of Melbourne must have a BTR and keep it renewed annually. This is your #1 place to start. The link is to Melbourne's city government website about the rules and application process.  Business tax receipts are usually issued in one day, but there could be reasons it might take longer.

Hotel or Restaurant? -- Any new restaurant or public lodging facility starting or changing ownership of a business is required to provide a temporary "receipt for license" from the State of Florida Division of Hotels & Restaurants prior to obtaining an Business Tax Receipt.

EGAD is Special -- Because we're in a Community Redevelopment Area, we have perks and restrictions about signage, sandwich signs, and more.

Host your own food vendor/truckCurrently, food trucks may only vend in permitted space and not on public property that is not properly permitted; however, individual businesses may host a food truck on their private turf a limited times a year. Find the details in the link.

Want to hang a sign out front? --  This is the step most people miss. If you have purchased a sign without going thru the approval process, you may well have to throw it out and start over so be sure to go thru the application and review process first!  See the GUIDELINES here.  Here's the APPLICATION.

Permitting -- Sorry, but everything has rules for the protection of the greater good. If you're making any changes or under construction whatsoever, you will want to start by talking to a planner. It's free and it's smart. 

RENT EAU GALLIE SQUARE ONLY-- Eau Gallie Square is owned and managed by the City of Melbourne/Parks & Recreation Department which is housed in the Eau Gallie Civic Center.  The Square is a beautiful park with large oak trees and native plants is located on the corner of Highland Avenue and Eau Gallie Boulevard.  This park boasts a small, lighted amphitheater/pavilion with electricity available (extra cost involved).  The park has picnic tables, benches, paved brick walkways and electricity throughout.  MAINSTREET WI-FI is available at no cost.  Cost: Large Group Rentals: (30 people or more) Resident-$250 – $500 Refundable Security Deposit; $96 Resident/$114 Non-resident.  

HOST AN EVENT IN EGAD -- If you wish to host an event and close the street for vendors, food trucks, or any activity, please start with the City Clerk's office at City Hall.  Details and all downloadable forms are on their site.

Making Changes to the Building? -- Contact the Community Development Department at or call (321) 608-7500.  

Want to host a special event? -- You must complete a "special activity permit" and pay the fee. Whether it's a big event where you close a street or just want to place a food truck on private property for your store's special event, a permit is still required. Of course, there are PROCEDURES. If you wish to rent only Eau Gallie Square or the Civic Center, start at the Parks & Recreation at the Civic Center. If you wish to close a street, start with the City Clerk's office at City Hall. All their forms are downloadable from the city website.

Zoning -- Zoning provides the regulations that apply to land and structures in the City of Melbourne.  The City of Melbourne has numerous zoning districts and each one has a list of permitted uses for building setbacks, densities, and heights.  You will want Zoning assistance if you want to learn about the zoning of your property, how to change it, what’s allowed within your zoning district, information on setbacks and more exciting late-night reading.  The most direct way to find information on a particular property is to search by the address of the property or by the seven-digit tax account number (TA #).  

The Melbourne Zoning Code is located in Part III, Appendix B of the City of Melbourne Code of Ordinances.

FAQs -- Not sure what's required? Check this out.



Planner of the Day        (321) 608-7500

Code Enforcement         (321) 608-7905

Police Non-Emergency  (321) 608-6731

Utility Billing                      (321) 608-7100

City Hall                               (321) 608-7000

City Clerk's Ofc                   (321) 608-7220

Eau Gallie Civic Center     (321) 608-7400

Visit the Planning Office at City Hall at

900 E. Strawbridge Ave, Third Floor

Melbourne FL 32901

Hours:  Weekdays 8:30am-5pm